The Importance of Networking
The importance of networking is a skill that, like any other skill, can be learned. And like any other learning process, it takes time and effort.
Why is networking important?
Benefits of networking: If you’re willing to invest in your networking skills and do so consistently, you can become great at it! Here are some techniques that I’ve found helpful:
- Be bold.
- Be authentic.
- Be unique.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Be approachable.
If you want to be a networker, you have to be willing to make mistakes. And if you don’t? You will never get anywhere. You must be willing to ask questions, take risks, and sometimes even be different from everyone else in your industry or field.
Be yourself. Being genuine the purpose of networking is part of presenting yourself as a true professional. When you are authentic, your audience knows you care about them and not just about getting your ideas across.
The best way to be yourself is to focus on being transparent, open and honest, and, most importantly, humble.
- Be unique
- Don’t try to be something you’re not or do something you aren’t comfortable with. For example, if you’re not a salesperson and want to share your book on your blog, that’s great! It will be more effective than spending money to promote it through traditional means.
- Be enthusiastic about your business. Talk about what you do with passion and pride, even if it’s a small detail or something that isn’t well-known yet.
- Be enthusiastic about the other person’s business. Please find out about their work and ask questions that show you are interested in what they do.
- Be enthusiastic about the other person’s interests or hobbies. Ask them questions about these things, and encourage them to talk more on this subject by asking follow-up questions of your own such as “How did you get into that?” or “What made you decide to go into this field?”
- Be enthusiastic about the other person’s family members (if appropriate). Asking questions like “How is your husband/wife/kids doing? What do they like to do in their spare time?” can allow people to talk more easily while simultaneously giving off positive vibes!
One of the best ways to get ahead in business is to make it easy for people to approach you. “Hi, how are you?” That may seem like a simple question, but there’s nothing more powerful than being approachable.
As much as possible, try not to be too friendly; everyone likes someone who is genuinely friendly but not overly so. You don’t want people thinking they can walk up and talk about whatever with you whenever they want because then it will become hard for them to realize when it’s appropriate or inappropriate.
I hope you found these tips helpful. Why do we need a network?
They’re not meant to be a “one size fits all” solution, but I believe in the importance of networking so that anyone who follows them can build stronger relationships with people. If you have any questions about networking or anything related to business and entrepreneurship, please get in touch with me at [email protected]. I’d love to hear from you!